Real - but you do come across some real gems in there if ya poke around enough. I was very saddened to learn that the last LSM that is intactmaybe not sliced and gutted for use as a barge) was only scrapped ...
This image with the title of "There's not nearly enough love for the Gator Navy on this sub. So, I give you the USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2), lead ship in her Class of Amphibious Assault Ships. [2404x1831]" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Warship . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about There's not nearly enough love for the Gator Navy on this sub. So, I give you the USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2), lead ship in her Class of Amphibious Assault Ships. [2404x1831]
- True - but if ya poke around enough you do come across some real gems in there.
- I was very saddened to learn that the last intact LSM (not chopped and gutted for use as a barge) was only scrapped a couple years ago. So close to being permanently preserved in a good museum. Would have loved to have seen her when she was in the Midwest.
- I suppose these days the closest you can get to an intact LSM is the USS LCS(L)-102 , another former member of the Thai Navy which is now a museum in Vallejo,CA.
- Yep. Although they're actually quite a bit smaller, 50' shorter and 10' narrower.
- <--- USS New Orleans (LPH-11) 1988-1990
- USS Inchon LPH-12 1990-1993
- I also just texted a Marine friend of mine and he was on the New Orleans in 1988 long enough to go from Okinawa to Korea.
- West Pac '88, good times man.
- I always wanted to do one of those. I did 2 Med Cruises and a trip to the North Atlantic.
- Unfortunately, we were just discussing this ship in a quality control class.
- Quality control, or lack there of in this case?
- I'm unfamiliar with the problems this ship had, so I was just hoping for more elaboration with its troubles.
- The front fell off... Which was surprising, because they're not supposed to do that.
- Oh you.
- Oh no, not the front! We need that. Read more comments