I do not know how you could keep your face up in a g that is high like that Wow, that's a freaking awesome idea to have tried out. May not be practical, but how people that are many aside from pilots can ...
This image with the title of "The Prone Pilot experiment using the F.8 Meteor." is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Fighter Jets . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about The Prone Pilot experiment using the F.8 Meteor.
- I have no idea how you could keep your head up in a high g turn like that
- Wow, that's a freaking awesome idea to have tried out. May not be practical, but how many people, let alone pilots can say they flew in a fighter jet while prone?
- It was supposed to be better for sustained g's maneuvers and to be the next thing in cockpit design. It was abandoned though, don't know why. Must have been some physiological reasons for that.
- I'm sure it was just uncomfortable as hell to hold your head up perpendicular to your body like that.
- apparently they had a head support... my guess it is much harder to look around during sustained g`s. with further reading it was said to be control problem...
- It was partly due to the invention of g-suits and the uncomfortable and impractical flying position. It's on display at Cosfords museum, and the seat does not look comfortable at all.
- I would imagine it would have something to do with not being able to turn around in the cockpit. Read more comments