Put this on /r/planesgonewild , you may get some easy karma there Pretty nice. Any idea what advantage a wing position like this would have? There's a benefits that are few. Probably the ...
This image with the title of "Sukhoi SU-47 "Berkut", a prototype forward sweep fighter" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Fighter Jets . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about Sukhoi SU-47 "Berkut", a prototype forward sweep fighter
- put this on /r/planesgonewild , you might get some easy karma there
- Pretty nice. Any idea what advantage a wing position like this would have?
- There's a few benefits. Probably the biggest is stall characteristics and enhanced maneuverability especially at high angles of attack. Instead of the air sweeping out across the wing to the wingtips, it flows towards the wing roots. Root stalls are more easily managed than tip stalls, still give full aileron usage, etc. Drag is also reduced as you don't get the same kind of wingtip vortices. One of the downsides, and a major reason we haven't seen such designs in high performance, fighter-like aircraft until somewhat recently with the likes of the X-29 and Su-47, is that the tips of the wings tend to want to twist upwards. And when they begin twisting upwards, their angle of incidence increases, which increases lift at the tip, which further adds more twist. So it wasn't until advanced composite materials became somewhat practical that such designs could be explored, as traditional materials lacked the strength and stiffness to withstand this twisting action.
- Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the detailed answer.
- If it stalls, it stalls at the root instead of the wing tip, and much lower drag compared to standard sweep. Read more comments