It can elevate its gun it just makes use of a system that is rather uncommon. Hydro-pneumatic suspension. Bingo! fack the haters, it is loved by me. Waiting for a model kit to show up btw 🙂 ...
This image with the title of "Some say it's not a real tank, but still one of my favorites. The stridsvagn 103 (S tank)." is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Tank . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about Some say it's not a real tank, but still one of my favorites. The stridsvagn 103 (S tank).
- It can elevate its gun it just uses a rather uncommon system.
- Hydro-pneumatic suspension.
- fack the haters, I love it. Waiting for a model kit to arrive btw 🙂
- Oh, models exist. I had one at least 40 years ago.
- Oh yeah, I meant to say that I bought one and it's being delivered to me 🙂
- As I recall, the trickiest part was the suspension. I used Vaseline and only tiny amounts of adhesive to enable the rocking that elevates the gun to function correctly. And it was a pricey way to provide for elevation. Interesting the Swedes replaced it with the Leopard 2, but there were lots surplus after the end of the Cold War.
- very cool. Why dont some consider it a 'real' tank?
- Typically tanks have turrets so the gun can rotate. When they only have a gun that is fixed (but can elevate), it is usually considered either a tank destroyer or a self-propelled gun. I realize the human need to categorize things, but in some cases it gets ridiculous. I'd call this a tank any day of the week. It reminds me of the Russian aircraft carriers. Technically they are classified as a Cruiser (that just so happens to carry aircraft) because certain countries ports and canals don't allow aircraft carriers in them. Change the "type" of ship, and bam, they're allowed in.
- They're Russia, I'd half expect them to do it anyway.
- LOL true. "We are entering your port." "No, you can't." "President Putin wishes it so." "Welcome, comrade!" Read more comments