Whats mounted to the motor cars trunk? Automated License/Number Plate Readers. Just several NYPD divisions have actually them, they read plates because they drive around, looking for "flags" (eg. expired registration, ...
This image with the title of "NYPD Highway Patrol close bridges during Winter Storm Jonas (New York City, US. January, 2016) [1024x768]" is one of a large collection of pictures from the category Police . We collect quality images, from a social network website reddit.com
Source: To view the original source also read the full comments of the original poster as well as from other redditor, you can click on the following Link.
Some random comments on reddit about NYPD Highway Patrol close bridges during Winter Storm Jonas (New York City, US. January, 2016) [1024x768]
- whats mounted to the cars trunk?
- Automatic License/Number Plate Readers. Only a few NYPD divisions have them, they read plates as they drive around, looking for "flags" (eg. expired registration, stolen vehicle, vehicle used in crime, etc.).
- gotcha, thanks!
- I like the snow chains
- How long can they run the lights before the battery dies?
- Until they run out of gas, and then when their second battery dies
- Many a rookie has kept their lights on while the car is off... They usually don't do it again haha
- Highway cars have run on switches connected to lights. Car won't shut off with lights on unless brake depressed and no key.
- When did the NYPD start using Red and Blues?
- There are alternating red and blue rear facing in the rear windshield and the highway bars. The large blue is a message board that syas things like "police emergency ...etc."
- Interesting. I remember reading that Red and Blue was reserved for federal agencies in NYC. Maybe because they're highway patrol they have red and blues? I've never seen an emergency bar like that though. Read more comments